I don’t know what i hope to get out of this blog but i hope as i post my thoughts and read your comments, hopefully i will be able to accept that the days of my twenties is over (even the thought makes me loose the will to live). My twenties has been the greatest decade of my life; the experiences of my 20th to date has moulded me to the very man I am today, shaped my beliefs and the values that are fundamental to my existence. Even as I write this, I feel butterflies in my stomach and can’t really put a finger on what it is, maybe it is the feeling of excitement or that of fear mixed with anxiety. What really kicked this off? I had this friend of mine who even throw a very big party celebrating her day turning 30. She said, turning 30 is not a thing to be sad or fear of, but rather something to be excited off because there will be more in life to discover. What! 30! I remember when I was in my teens, I looked at my uncles and cousins that were 30 and I use to think to myself it’s going to be eternity before I clock 30 and to suddenly realise that I am on the last leg, the eve, the penultimate year of my 30 sends this thrill down my spine like gosh 30!

I read a comment on the internet saying you don’t really know what you want out of life until you’re 30. At first I disagreed but somehow I saw an element of truth in the statement. I have always been focused in life even at an early age. I knew what I wanted out of life and had set my goals to achieve them. But as I have eventually found out in my twenties that life always has a different plan for you and things don’t always turn out as you plan them but the key is to know how to re-evaluate, re-align and re-position. I guess conceding to this comment is refusing to accept that you have failed in achieving some of your goals and giving yourself credit for the little you managed to achieve- simply put: having another go!

I think at 30, you finally come to accept that you no longer have the youthful energy of your twenties, the innocence and naivety of your teen and the child mind you had in your toddler years to be objective and unhindered. You finally realized after the rollercoaster experience of the last 29 years and insurmountable mountain of 40 in the not to distant vicinity; after carefully taking stock of your losses and your wins and knowing you’re old enough to feel aches and pains, but not old enough to be offered a seat on a bus or train; you cautiously re-evaluate: minimising your exposure to risk in light of the responsibilities you now bear; re-align: prioritize and re-focus your goals to align with responsibilities that needs to be met; and you re-position: embrace the dross of prime time TV now that your best clubbing days are behind you.